Weeks after Google's Day of Infamy i'm still failing to fully replace Google Reader Shares. Recently I gave up on Tumblr, Posterous, the zombie version of Google Reader, and some screen-scraping attempts to turn G+ streams into feeds.
Lately I've been focusing on my @jgordonshare tweets and tonight I tried using ifttt to create a WordPress feed-equipped archive of tweets.
It was easy to setup the ifttt task to turn the tweets into WP posts. I used a "1 button install" Dreamhost  WordPress instance I've been testing. I had to turn on XML-RPC publishing (used by Windows Live Writer, MarsEdit, etc) and provide a WordPress username and password .
The ifttt doesn't trigger immediately after tweet creation. I assume it checks the Twitter stream every 15-30 minutes. I manually triggered a check from the ifttt dashboard.
Here's an example of what I got
Just testing iftt tweeting to wp (sorry). http://t.co/GbR8Qdud
... Just testing iftt tweeting to wp (sorry). http://t.co/GbR8Qdud...
Yeah, not to impressive. The problem is a tweet is simply a string, it has no special structure, no way to distinguish URL from my commentary from page title from annotation (not that there's room for all that). Tweets are much simpler entities than old-style Google Reader shares.
The experiment did work, but the result isn't terribly interesting.
So the quest goes on ...
 Use the code "KATEVA" or this link and you are supposed to get 50% off your 1st year costs and I get an equal saving as credit.
 Obviously you should create a user for this purpose and create a unique password. IFTTT has to know your credentials.
- Dreamhost - apparently the kickbacks work 6/2010
- Google reader shared items to Facebook 3/2009 - Google's glory days - before the Fall
- Loving Google Reader - Shared post feed 9/2008 - Google's apex
- My reader shares are back for now - thanks to Keakon 11/2011 - sweet hack, but a bit of a security risk
- Social wrestling: Google Reader, Twitterfeed, Blogger and Facebook 4/2010 - twitterfeed is still around
- Filtering my Google Reader Share with Yahoo Pipes 9/2008 - never quite worked, but an interesting example
- Using Bloggers undocumented label (category) feeds and Yahoo Pipes to create a tech opinion feed out of Gordon's Notes - 2/09 - fiddling
- Tweeting Google Reader Shares and Notes via feedburner 10/2010 - we assume Google will axe feedburner in 2012
- FreeMyFeed - Getting Twitter feed to Google Reader - turning twitter into rss 4/2009
- Microblogging and Google Reader: Tumblr Fails 11/2011
- After the fall of Google Reader: Posterous, Tumblr and Zootool with Twitter on the side 11/2011. I haven't tried Zootool yet.