Apple's FairPlay DRM management is notoriously fragile. It can be confused by family sharing, Screen Time controls, payment method changes, and, heaven forfend, mixed Apple IDs on a device.
Once Apple's DRM gets confused there's often no user accessible error message (PS. This is a bug ). The app just hangs. So when I realized my (manual) App Store updates were not completing I was not completely surprised. Recently I had:
- Changed payment methods. I made my Apple Card's award balance (1-2% transaction) the default payment method (so it always gets emptied)
- Enabled Screen Time account change restrictions to mitigate the harm of Apple's biggest current security issue.
- [Switch to manual update if you've been using automatic]
- Verify Apple ID payment methods look correct
- Turn off Screen Time [Apple doesn't mention this.]
- Restart phone (power off/on)
- Download a new free app from App Store [An old method, still useful]
- Verify I can now update one of the pending apps.
- Update All
- Turn Screen Time back on.
- [Turn auto update back on if you like that.]