After several years of watching with vague disgust, I purchased a MobileMe
4 5 person family pack (via Macintouch referral link) from Amazon for $123. It took 12 days to arrive, which is about 3 times as long as I’d expected.
I’ll be using it for Emily, my mother (remote maintenance) and me. The sum of services that I think will make it worthwhile include:
- iPhone locator, send message, lock and remote wipe services
- Outlook 2003/2007 synchronization to MobileMe contacts, as used in my Contacts project. (The SyncWiz failure persuaded me to seek the only Outlook AddIn Contacts Sync solution I’ve had success with).
- Webdav (iDisk) shares and large file messaging
- Remote maintenance/access (esp... for my mother)
I don’t think I have any use for the Calendaring, bookmarks, email, or photo gallery services. I certainly don’t want to commit my data to MobileMe; Apple is to Data Freedom as the Birthers are to Obama.
I will have more to say about each of the features I use, which is best done in stages because MobileMe is a fairly amorphous and fluid set of services. Some of the capabilities are OS X specific, and some are probably 10.6 specific (or less buggy on 10.6). Some are iPhone specific (locator), some are iLife specific (albums, iWeb) and a few work with a PC (which I actually need).
In general the more Apple products you use, the more MobileMe becomes a reasonable purchase.
I’ll add links below to the next few weeks of reviews.
- 10/20/09: MobileMe Family Pack activation and account information
- 10/20/09: MobileMe – Locator Service
- 10/21/09: MobileMe – Getting Webdav support working on XP
- 10/21/09: MobileMe – The iPhone iDisk.app
- 10/21/09: Mobile Me back to my Mac for remote maintenance – a complete fail
- 10/21/09: MobileMe - Sharing Contacts and Calendars in a Family account (doesn't work)
- 10/23/09: MobileMe: Integrating Work and Personal Contacts
- MobileMe- Perspective of a crusty Palm veteran. I wrote this in July 2009.
- We won’t see a fixed MobileMe until 10.6 is out: Well, 10.6 is out, and I'm not so sure MobileMe is fixed.