A book project forced me to dig into a perennially painful topic — Calendar sharing and subscription in iOS and OS X (MacOS Yosemite) for Google and Apple.
- iCloud uses Webcal protocol links to share public calendars among iCloud users. Google can parse these, but it in my tests no events appeared. Old web pages say Apple blocks Google access to public iCloud calendars (robots.txt).
- Google uses https links to an ICS file to share public calendars. Yosemite Calendar.app can use these links and iOS Calendar.app can use these URLs , but iCloud.com Calendar can’t. At least in my testing, with Yosemite, Calendar.app on MacOS and Calendar.app on iOS don’t share these calendar subscriptions.
- Safari.app on iOS will pass an iCloud webcal URL link to Calendar.app and this will trigger a calendar subscription. Google ICS file (https) links won’t work, renaming them to webcal doesn’t work either (I think it might have in the past).
iCloud Public Calendar Share link:
Google Public Calendar Share link:
- Gordon’s Tech: Google’s Calendar Sync with Mountain Lion through Yosemite Calendar.app is a flaming mess 10/2013
- Use multiple calendars - iPhone - 12/2015
- Subscribe to calendar by link does not work in ... | Apple Support Communities
- Techniques to Share Apple and Google Calendars - Envato Tuts+ Computer Skills Tutorial
- iCalendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Webcal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- How to share or make iCloud calendars public on iPhone and iPad | iMore
- iCloud: Calendar sharing overview
- iCloud: Share a calendar with others
- iCloud Calendar sharing to iCal4 or CalDAV client | Physics Computing Services
- Gordon's Tech: MobileMe vs. Google Calendars 10/2010