Aperture is an artifact from an age where Apple made ambitious software to handle big challenges.
Those were the days.
It’s not, however, flawless.
Periodically I rebuild the Aperture database. Sometimes all is well. Today there 1061 “recovered” images.
I’ve been through this before so I didn’t panic. I sorted by size and chose 10 version names from the largest 50. I then searched on each name and all of them were in the proper place at a larger size as well as in the “recovered” project. The recovered images were thumbnails.
When I get 10/10 I assume they are all thumbnails (most are a few hundred K vs. images of 3MB to 30MB). So I delete the Recovered Folder.
It is unsettling how often I have to do this.