One thing I've wanted is a simple Find function that would search documents and email. Spotlight is too geeky and searches too many areas. The embedded Find you get when typing in a folder bar, or the Find you get from Cmd-F or the Finder menu is a bit better, but not simple enough. MoRU is almost right, with a few changes it could become a very novice friendly tool.
None are quite right however. The best I could come up with was a tweaked Smart Folder, unfortunately it doesn't search mail (more about that). Here's what I did:
- Create a smart folder called 'Find Documents'. Put it on the desktop.
- For the initial search text enter 'Type your search here'.
- Right click on the center of the window and choose View Options.
- Set View to icon only, make the text displayed 16 point and the icons very big.
- Save the Smart Folder.
- Right Click 'Get Info'. Click 'Locked'.
BTW, the Get Info dialog will show part of the Spotlight query represented by this folder. The exclusion of com. apple.mail.emlx, I think, is what prevents Smart Folders from returning results from Mail.app.
Post a Comment