It's mostly worked, albeit with the limitations of Google's oddball Reader shared item feed. Recently, however, I've been concerned about Twitterfeed's understandable need to monetize their service. It's not the monetization I mind, it's that I'm a passenger wherever they go.
So I poked around a bit. I reviewed some services I'd looked at previously, including RSS Graffiti, but they didn't give me the warm fuzzies. Then I learned I could use a services I already know, Google's Feedburner, to tweet a feed ...
my Google Reader Generated Page feed ...
http://www.google.com/reader/public/atom/user%2F06457543619879090746%2Fstate%2Fcom.google%2Fbroadcastinto a Feedburner feed:
feed://feeds.feedburner.com/faughnanreadersharesIt took several tries to get it to work. I repeatedly got an "internal error" message even when I provided the shared item web address (http://www.google.com/reader/shared/jfaughnan) and let Feedburner discover the feed. Just as I was about to give up, it worked.
The Feedburner version of the Google Shared Items feed has some interesting properties. For example, my Reader shared item notes now appear as inline text. I can also get odd links to posted notes like this one:
http://www.google.com/reader/item/tag:google.com,2005:reader/item/4ba48c42d43b00abFrom Feedburner it was easy to link the output from this Atom feed to my jordonshares Twitter stream. I'm using the following services there ...
- Title/description burner
Socialize - TwitterI wonder how long this will work, but for now I'm using Feedburner instead of Twitterfeed to post my Google Reader Shared items and notes to Twitter.
See also (lots of experiments!)
- More of me: My Google Reader Shared Item Feed (10/09)
- Loving Google Reader - Shared post feed (9/08)
- Gordon's Tech: Google reader shared items to Facebook (3/09)
- Filtering my Google Reader Share with Yahoo Pipes (9/08)
- Google Reader: Experiments with notes, following and sharing (11/09)
- Social wrestling: Google Reader, Twitterfeed, Blogger and Facebook (4/10)
- FreeMyFeed - Getting Twitter feed to Google Reader (4/09 - a different use of Feedburner)
- Reimagining realtime focalcast communication – Buzz and Twitter 2.0 (3/09)
- How do I share my Google Reader Shared Items Feed and process it via Yahoo Pipes? (9/08)
- Twitter feed for my Google Shared Items (9/10)
Curious why you moved to Feedburner, we're committed to sticking around and providing a free version of the service :-)
General Manager, Twitterfeed
Post a Comment