Image metadata seems to have been preserved - titles, captions, etc. I've written about this previously for iPhoto, Aperture and Picasa Web Albums.
That's the end of the good news. All of the descriptions I added to Albums/Events were lost. Aperture Projects/Albums can't have annotations. So that description you wrote in iPhoto about the family reunion? It's toast.
Aperture's iPhoto import is feeble - and Apple's marketing of Aperture's iPhoto import is deceptive.
Apple does stuff like this though. I'm not surprised they did a crappy job on iPhoto import.
What's truly weird however, is that nobody besides me seems to care. That means Apple isn't going to fix this.
There are times when I know I live in the Twilight Zone. This is one of those times.
- Gordon's Notes: Lessons in Software: Aperture 3 and iPhoto 11 10/2010
- iPhoto '08: don't embed metadata in JPEG originals 12/2007
- Stuck in Apple's photo management Limbo 5/2011 - still stuck today
- Apple Aperture: iPhoto replacement?: 10/2005 - seven years later, it's still not a full replacement
- Migration of metadata from Aperture to iPhoto and Google's Picasa web albums